.

Thursday, March 28, 2019

Diversity Statement - The Appalachian Mountains :: College Admissions Essays

Diversity Statement - The Appalachian Mountains I was raised in an ultra-conservative Pentecostal Holiness church in the Appalachian Mountains. on that point were snake handlers in our church. It was thought that it tested ones faith to pick up a poisonous snake -- God wouldnt every last(predicate)ow it to bite you if you had faith. However, I was always afraid that to pick up a snake would commodiously increase Gods propensity to smite me via death by snakebite. I did non deem enough faith. Ive never encountered a miracle -- Ive never had a ambitiousness come true. I therefore cant help notwithstanding lack faith. To my great fortune, Ive had many large number help me along the way who didnt have to and who stood energy to gain by helping me. Teachers gave me after-hours help when I didnt have it off how I would pay for school, the financial aid office gave me a scholarship. These people helped me for no reason other than the mere fact that I am a human being, worthy of help when in need. Although I didnt have faith, they gave me hope. This is why I have worked at a local unsettled shelter for the past two years. I feel like I can do the same thing -- help a mortal or two merely on the basis of our shared humanity. I enjoy paying back just about of the help society has inclined me. I teach a computer class at the shelter, but everyone gets free therapy on the side. Most of those people arent different in some essential way from the homed or those who have jobs, but life has a good deal dealt them a losing hand to begin with. I tell them that I to a fault had a losing hand, but I never gave up hope. Often, hope is all I had -- but it was enough to keep me pressing onward.

No comments:

Post a Comment